Monday, March 15, 2010

Easy and Oh So Good Chili


Warm Chili on a cold day is not only a staple in our house but a treat. Why on earth I don't make this delicious and nutritious meal more often is beyond me. When I do make it I make enough for an army. But to quote Darryl Hannah in Steel Magnolias, "It freezes beautifully." Enjoy!

2 cans pinto beans
2 cans dark kidney beans
2 cans chile beans
2 cans diced (low salt) tomatoes
1 lb ground beef (turkey may be used or the meat may be omitted completely)
1 Tablespoon Cumin
1 Tablespoon black pepper
2 Tablespoons salt
4 heaping Tablespoons of red chile powder
1 Tablespoon of red pepper flakes (optional as this is only to add heat!)
1 onion OR 1 Tablespoon onion powder
1 whole head of garlic OR 1 Tablespoon garlic powder
1 large bell pepper

Crumble meat in a large skillet. Add onion, bell pepper and garlic. Saute all until meat is brown. Transfer to large pot or crockpot. Add cans of beans and remaining spices. I personally like to add half of my red chile powder at the beginning and the other half in the last half hour of cooking but you don't have to. Sometimes I add a jalapeno or two depending on who I'm cooking for.

The beauty of this recipe is that you can cook it on the stove top within 20 minutes or slow cook it all day in the crock pot. It only gets better and better!

Serve with diced onion, cheese, sour cream and don't forget the corn bread!

No comments:

Post a Comment